Dependant’s Pass Scheme for Family Members

Dependant’s Pass Scheme for Family Members

A Dependant’s Pass is a family relocation visa issued to unmarried children below the age of 21 and the spouse of foreign employees holding either an Employment Pass, Personalised Employment Pass, S Pass or an Entrepreneur Pass. A Dependant’s Pass is valid only for a single person and separate pass applications must be filed with the Ministry of Manpower for each family member eligible under the scheme.

A Dependant’s Pass holder’s immigration status in Singapore is linked to the status of the primary work pass holder. This is to say that as long as the work pass holder is gainfully employed in Singapore, the Dependant’s Pass holder is also eligible to remain in the country and to enter and leave freely without necessitating applying for a separate Singapore entry visa each time.

Who is eligible?

The spouse and any unmarried children below the age of 21 years (including those children who have been legally adopted) of the work pass holder (i.e. Employment Pass, PEP, Entrepreneur Pass or S Pass holders earning a minimum of S$5,000 per month) are eligible to apply for a Dependant’s Pass. Should an Employment Pass holder’s baby be born in Singapore, the parent is required to report to the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) and present the letter issued by the hospital to secure a short term visit pass for the baby. This pass will expire after 42 days, before which an application for a Dependant’s Pass is to be submitted.

While the fiancée of the holder of an Employment Pass is not eligible to apply for a Dependant’s Pass, they are usually eligible to apply for a Long-Term Social Visit Pass, subject to certain conditions.

Required documents

Along with the completed application form for the Dependant’s Pass, the following supporting documents are required by the Ministry of Manpower:

  • A copy of the personal particulars page of the applicant’s passport.
  • For spouses, a copy of the official marriage certificate.
  • For natural children, a copy of their birth certificate.
  • For adopted children, a copy of the adoption certificate.
  • A recent passport-sized photo.
  • Educational details of the Dependant Pass applicant, where applicable.
  • School enrolment details in a Singapore educational institute, where applicable.
  • Salary details for the most recent employment held, where applicable.

For children under the age of 16, a parent is required to sign the application on their behalf. Additionally, certificates written in a language other than English are required to be translated by a certified translator. The original language certificate copy must also be submitted as part of the application.

Procedure and timeline for Dependant’s Pass applications

The Employment Pass application does not need to be submitted prior to the application for the Dependant’s Pass. The Dependant’s Pass visa application form and all supporting documents may be submitted with the Employment Pass application, but later applications are also permitted. Similar to the Employment Pass application, the Dependant’s Pass application is to be sponsored by the employing company of the Employment Pass holder. A separate Dependant’s Pass visa application is required to be made by each member of the family. Approval of the Dependant’s Pass is generally considered to be a formality where all necessary paperwork is in order.

If the Dependant’s Pass application was submitted at the same time as the Employment Pass application, applicants are likely to be informed of the outcomes of all applications at the same time, and the Dependant’s Passes can be collected at the same time as the Employment Pass. If it was submitted separately at a later date, the processing time can vary by between one and two weeks.

Once the family visa has been approved, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) will issue an In-Principle-Approval (IPA) letter. The Dependant’s Pass applicant is required to collect their pass in person in Singapore to register his / her fingerprint and photograph. An appointment has to be arranged prior to visiting the MOM’s services centre.

The applicant is required to present the following documents when they collect their Dependant’s Pass:

  • In-Principal-Approval letter.
  • Passport with a minimum validity of 6 months

Any other documents specifically requested in the IPA letter including but not limited to medical test report and embarkation/disembarkation card.Upon successful registration and document verification, the DP card will be delivered to the appointed card delivery address after 4-5 working days.

Renewing your Dependant’s Pass

The Ministry of Manpower will send the Dependant’s Pass renewal form to the holder’s employer together with the renewal form for the Employment Pass. If the company has an EP Online account, the renewal can be done 6 months prior to the expiry date of the current pass. Both the Employment Pass and all Dependant’s Passes can be renewed simultaneously.

Working in Singapore on a Dependant’s Pass

Holders of Dependant’s Passes can work in Singapore as long as the work pass holder is holding a visa pass other than an S Pass. Your potential employer will be required to apply for a Letter of Consent (LOC) that the Ministry of Manpower will review and approve. Upon submission of the LOC application form, it will take between two and four weeks for the authorities to reply with an outcome. The LOC expires at the same time as the Dependant’s Pass, therefore you should renew the LOC whenever your Dependent’s Pass is renewed and reissued.

Dependants of S Pass holders who wish to work in Singapore will need to apply for a Work Permit, S Pass or Employment Pass instead. They will have to meet the eligibility criteria for these passes.

Studying in Singapore on a Dependant’s Pass

Children on a Dependant’s Pass may enrol to study in both local and international K-12 schools in Singapore without the need for an additional student visa. However, Dependant’s Pass holders seeking to pursue higher education at a Singapore institution will be required to apply for a student visa.

Path to Permanent Residency

Dependant’s Pass holders are eligible to apply for Permanent Residency in Singapore with the Employment Pass holder. Your Permanent Residency application is tied to the work visa holders; if the Employment Pass holder’s application is approved, your application will be approved as well.


Singapore’s Dependant’s Pass family visa is an excellent concept that offers eligible family members of an Employment Pass or other work visa holder the chance to live in Singapore. This scheme is flexible enough to allow successful applicants to work and study in Singapore while providing a path to eventual permanent residency in the event that you and your family desire it.

For more information about the Dependant’s Pass scheme, please see our FAQ page for the Dependant’s Pass or visit the Ministry of Manpower’s website.